The neck is a very important part of our body, which connects the head to the back. It has different functions besides holding the skull: it receives the larynx, the thyroid glands, the trachea, among others. Any blow, pain or injury to the neck is delicate since the neck has no bone protection. Let’s look together at the most common causes of neck ache.
It is very important to take care of the movements of the neck, as it is the connection point of the head with the spine. Depending on the genes of each, you can have a long, thick, short or thin neck. Beyond its physical appearance, it is necessary to keep it in optimal conditions. Since it has a very valuable task: to be flexible enough to move and, in turn, strong to support the weight of the head. Let’s try to understand what are the most common causes of neck pain.
The most common causes of neck ache
The bones, ligaments, tendons, and muscles make up the neck and allow its mobility. Any abnormality, inflammation or injury can cause pain. There are several reasons why the neck may be affected, such as poor posture during sleep or work, abrupt movement, muscle tension due to stress, among others.
There are times when there may be a slight tension in the neck that usually fades quickly. It is a harmless pain that could be caused by fatigue in the muscles. However, there are other neck pains that deserve to be treated with drugs and other elements. Among the diagnoses that cause neck pain are the following:
- Whiplash: manifests itself by moving the head very abruptly backward and then forward. This movement can occur for example when driving on a vehicle and sudden braking occurs. It usually does not require medical attention, unless the pain is very serious. For the rest, making ice packs and applying a mint cream should suffice.
- Muscular tension: muscle tension is one of the most common, it can be accompanied by a headache. It occurs when poor posture is maintained when sitting, sleeping or suffering from bruxism (grit your teeth during sleep), which can cause an intense neck ache. This pain can be treated with painkillers and hot packs.
- The torticollis: it is similar to the muscular tension, but the torticollis besides being painful, does not allow the mobility of the neck. This can happen while you are sleeping or if you make a movement that causes a muscle spasm. It can be relieved with hot packs.
- Stroke: an accident or a blow can hurt and cause pain in the neck muscles. Nothing that cannot be cured with a muscle relaxant.
There are also other reasons that cause neck ache and that can mean much more serious illnesses and that probably studies and attention from professionals in the field of medicine. For this reason, one must be careful of any discomfort that lasts long in the neck.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: affects the joints causing pain and poor mobility. It is autoimmune and has no cure. He is treated with physiotherapy sessions and drugs prescribed by a professional.
- Cervical disc herniation: occurs due to the displacement of the disc in the cervix. It can be attributed to poor posture or wear of the spine. This causes severe pain and sometimes numbness in the neck. It should be treated by a specialist who usually prescribes exercises and analgesics.
Neck pain in athletes
Constant training can put a lot of pressure and strain on the muscles and ligaments of the neck. Athletes usually perform movements in which they expose the body to postures that it is not used to. The neck is quite delicate, so the athlete must make sure to do the exercises correctly to avoid any kind of damage.
Athletes or people who train in the gym should make sure to warm up and stretch before doing any physical activity. This prevents cramps, muscle tension, and injuries. Also, they should be careful when performing exercises like these:
- Abdominals: even if it seems like an exercise that does not involve the neck, in reality, it has an important role, since people tend to bend their neck too much and apply force on it. The right thing is to keep the neck straight and not to concentrate the strength there but on the abdomen. Keeping your neck taut when doing abs can cause pain.
- Bridge: when the bridge is made the column wrinkles in an unusual position for the cervical spine. So it is necessary to take care of the posture of the neck so that it does not do any wrong movement.
- Jumping: when you jump the body is suspended for a few seconds in the air, so when it lands it is essential to cushion the fall, which is achieved by bending the knees. If the subject returns to the floor without bending the knees, the impact received by the spine is dangerous and can affect the neck.
The neck is a vital area for the functioning of the human body. For this reason, everything possible must be done to keep it in good condition at all times. Furthermore, it is important to take care of any trauma or pain that the neck could suffer, with or without sport. The muscles and ligaments of the neck are fragile and can be strengthened by doing yoga or pilates exercises. The important thing is, although it is not a very exposed part of the body, always make an effort to protect and protect from injury.