The lumbar area is the lower back. It is composed of five vertebrae, which are responsible for supporting most of the weight of the upper body. It is a region prone to pain due to wear, weight gain, incorrect posture, aging and other types of injuries. Let’s see 4 exercises to relieve lumbago.
Stimulating, strengthening and giving flexibility to the lower back helps dissipate the pain. Training also brings other benefits, such as better posture, increased blood flow and the release of endorphins. Below, 4 exercises to relieve lumbago.
4 exercises to relieve lumbago
1. Isometric squat against the wall
This first option is an isometric exercise that works on the legs, back, abdomen and calves. Therefore, it is an excellent exercise to strengthen the lower back and thus reduce pain.
To practice the isometric squat against the wall, carefully follow the following steps:
- Stand still with your back to the wall at a distance of about two steps.
- Lean back until your back touches the wall and start bending your knees.
- It is extremely important that the calves have a ninety-degree angle and the knees should not exceed the toes.
- The back must be fully supported on the wall and the abdomen must remain contracted.
- Maintain the posture for ten seconds, then rest and repeat five times.
To ease the back pain and have firm buttocks, the bridge is a very effective exercise to try. To put it into practice, you will only need a mat to avoid bruising from the ground.
- Lie on your back and bend your knees until the sole of your foot rests on the floor.
- The feet should be separated by the width of the hips.
- Raise your hips keeping your arms on the floor.
- You will have to be careful not to arch your back but simply lift it upright.
- Hold the position for ten seconds, rest for another ten seconds, then repeat the exercise six more times.
3. Position of the cat and cow: yoga to alleviate lumbago
In yoga, the posture of the cat and cow are two separate exercises that are usually performed one after the other. Both positions stretch the back, including the lower part, and are part of the exercises to relieve lumbago.
As with the bridge , you will need a mat to perform these yoga exercises. For the cat’s position:
- Kneel on the mat and place your hands looking straight ahead.
- Now arch your back slowly, while keeping your chin on your chest.
- During the process, it is necessary to maintain a constant and calm breath.
- Return the posterior position to normal and repeat the procedure for thirty seconds.
Once you have finished putting the cat’s position into practice, it’s time to do that of the cow. This yoga position, in addition to relieving low back pain, also frees stress and improves body coordination.
- In the same table position, arch your back by sinking your belly and looking up.
- Inhale and exhale slowly while performing the exercise.
- Then return to the initial position and repeat for thirty seconds.
4. Position of the dog
Once again, yoga offers phenomenal exercises to relieve lumbago. In this case, the position of the dog or Adho Mukha Svanasana is a posture that strengthens and lengthens the entire spine.
At the same time, it gives flexibility to the legs and fills the body with energy. To do the dog’s position, proceed as follows:
- Stand up, with your back firm and your feet together.
- Stretch your torso forward until your hands touch the floor.
- Raise your hips and sink your back until you are in a reversed “V” position.
- Make sure the sole of the foot does not come off the floor.
- Breathe calmly and hold the position for thirty seconds.